Although Moto G6 is not getting the official updates anymore, we have still Custom ROMs left as the last option to try out the latest Android and its features. With that said, LineageOS 17.1 is now out for Moto G6, thanks to the developer BetoxxDios.
LineageOS is the most trusted and most used Custom ROM for Android. It is an AOSP based Custom ROM that focuses on giving a Stock Android experience with some extra essential features. There are many great features in LineageOS 17.1 and it gives a good performance and battery life. LineageOS also push monthly security patches that ensure the safety of your device.
Make sure to make a complete backup of your files before flashing any Custom ROM or Mod. Charge your device to at least 50% before starting the flashing procedure to make sure the installation goes interruption-free.
Table of Contents
Download LineageOS 17.1 for Moto G6
LineageOS is the most used and most trusted Custom ROM out there. It was started as CyanogenMod and known to be the first custom ROM or firmware which was able to make its way to some smartphone as pre-installed default firmware.
LineageOS is based on AOSP code and you will hardly feel a difference from stock Android. There are some third-party apps like Trebuchet, AudioFX, Clock, Dialer. Jelly, Eleven Music Player, Recorder, Snap Camera. All the apps are useful and there are no Ads in them. LineageOS comes without Google app or GApps, you have to install them after flashing the ROM.
Due to its stability and performance, many other custom ROMs use LineageOS code as their base, some of them are Resurrection Remix and crDroid.
If you want a daily driver with good battery life and performance, then LineageOS is one of the best options for you.
Features of LineageOS 17.1
- A new partial screenshot UI was implemented that lets you hand-select smaller parts of your screen and edit the screenshots.
- Many of you have been waiting for news on themes since the CyanogenMod Theme Engine’s deprecation in CyanogenMod 13.0, and those of you in this boat are in for a treat!
- AOSP’s new ThemePicker app was adapted to have the range of accents you’ve become used to with our old implementation, Styles.
- Support for font change, icon shape (both QuickSettings and Launcher), and icon style changes (eg. changing the style of the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth icons).
- Trebuchet has long been able to hide apps from the Launcher and protect them with a passcode/password, but now you can also use your biometric sensor to authenticate as well!
- Wi-Fi display is available once again.
- Support for on-screen fingerprint sensors (FOD) has been added.
- Support for pop-up and rotating cameras has been added.
- Support for Australian English, Lithuanian, Latvian, Dutch, Romanian, Slovenian, Serbian, and Turkish spell checking has been added to the AOSP keyboard.
How to flash LineageOS 17.1 Custom ROM on Moto G6
Instructions are from the Official XDA thread of ROM
- Remove all Pins and Password so Decryption dont fail
- Make sure to update to the latest Firmware
- Flash the latest TWRP given above
- Charge the device to at least 50%
Step 1: Flash the TWRP Custom Recovery on the [Moto G6
Step 2: Take Full Backup
Step 3: Perform a Factory reset (Format Data) by Going in the Wipe Section
Step 4: Flash the ROM zip file in the Install section
Step 5: Flash GApps (Download from Above)
Step 6: Flash Magisk Zip if you want to root
The first boot will take some time so be patient. And that’s it, you have flashed the LineageOS 17.1 Custom ROM for Moto G6.
If you are facing any problem or got a question, leave a comment below.