GCam Download and Installing Guide
Why use GCam?
HDR+ | Great Dynamic range
Google’s HDR+ is based on Image fusion technology which takes different images and then merges it into a single but more detailed image. It improves dynamic range and also give better low light shots. On Xiaomi Mi 1 which is only $200 smartphone, the low light shots are far better in GCam than the Stock camera app.
While some companies need dual camera setup for portrait mode and they still suck at it. Google released Pixel 2 XL with all Portrait mode entirely based on Software. And it is so great that even some top-tier dual camera setup fails to beat it in edge detection. GCam brings the top-notch algorithm to every Android smartphone. The Edge detection and Bokeh effect is good even on budget devices.
EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization)
This feature is still missing in many budget smartphone but with GCam you can record Stabilized videos. EIS stands for Electronic image stabilization which stabilizes video and makes it less jittery. It works perfectly on Redmi Note 4 which does not have EIS on Stock camera app.
How to Install GCam (Google camera)
- Android Smartphone with Snapdragon SoCs (2014 or later)
- Android 7.0 Nougat or Latest
- Root access
- Camera2 api enabled
Camera2 api is already enabled on Custom ROMs like LineageOS and AEX
Step 1: Root your Device (Magisk Manager recommended )
Step 2: Download Root Explorer, Edit Build.prop and add this line
or use Magisk Module
Step 3: Install GCam (Download link below)
Arnova8G2 and B-S-G Gcam port work perfectly on most of the phones. Get it here
Choose your Smartphone from the List:
Redmi Note 3
Redmi Note 3 is still running the old Android Marshmallow. Although, it can be updated to Android Nougat and oreo by flashing Custom ROMs.
For Android Marshmallow – BSG Gcam Port
Redmi Note 4
Android Nougat 7.0 – Scrubber V5.1 _24
Nougat 7.1 – Scrubber V5.1 _25
Android Oreo – Arnova8G2 V1.3
Watch Dhananjay Bhosale Video
Xiaomi Mi A1
You can use GCam on Mi A1 without Root. Just follow these Steps:
- Enable Developer options and Enable USB Debugging.
- Download This Software (GCam Tool) and Run it on your PC. You will get a menu like this:
- Connect your Mi A1 to PC through the USB cable and Click on “Enable HAL3, EIS, and Install” on the GCam tool
- Your phone will go into recovery mode and after a Reboot, you will get GCam working on your Device.
- Open the app and Go to Settings – Config Camera HDR+ – Select Nexus 6 Auto and then in Model, select Nexus 6
Source: MIUI forum
You can also Install Latest version of GCam from www.celsoazevedo.com